Wednesday, July 11, 2007

My Father

The near death illness and the final passing away of my Dad who was also my best friend, has changed me completely. I am not melancholic or even depressed but I do feel that the way I look at life and my reaction to situations has gone thru a sea change.
My parents went thru very tough times financially {both being orphans} while bringing me up but he never threw it in my face. He always got me what I wanted. It is now a moot point that I did not want a foreign MBA or a fancy car but I cant think of a single thing I may have faintly even hinted at desiring that I did not get.
I remember the months I spent at the Mahindra factory tinkering with his Jeep, his grooming me to interact with people of all ages and all walks of life and most of all my NEVER having to hide anything from him despite my many, many misdemeanors.His understanding of literature, history and philosophy remain un matched - I have not come across anyone with such razor sharp memory, infinite knowledge and as well read as him.
My father taught me the fine difference between ego and pride, getting angry and being firm, being humble and becoming a doormat and most of all helping people without expecting something in return.He had a special ability to touch people's lives in the most extra-ordinary manner and win them over.
If I can be half the man he was - I will die happy...
The question is will I ever be?
Imraan
26.11.2006

No comments: